Application for Pioneer, County or Century Certificates
County Historical Society issues certificates to persons who are directly
descended from Carver County Pioneers.
Applicants must prove direct descent and prove that the ancestor settled
Pioneer Certificate – 1854 or Before
Century Certificate – More than 100 years prior to the date of application
may apply for certificates to be issued to themselves or to other persons. The person to whom the certificate is issued
need not currently live in
of this program is to recognize families with
1. A separate completed application for each certificate requested.
2. A pedigree chart showing the ancestral line(s) of the person to whom the certificate is to be issued.
3. Copies of your documentation.
4. A check payable to the Carver County Historical Society, for $10.00 plus a $3.00 handling fee for each certificate requested.
2. Pedigree Chart
· A CCHS Chart is provided with the application form; however, any standard pedigree chart (including computer-generated charts) on 8 1/2 x 11- inch paper will be accepted
· Continuation sheets may be used
· Enter women’s surnames in the order in which acquired ( e.g., Mary, the daughter of John Jones, who married first Sam Brown and second Amos Black would be entered as Mary Jones Brown Black)
· Do not use parentheses
· Enter dates in day, month and year format, using the-letter abbreviations for the month (e.g., 12 Feb 1895).
3. Ancestor Documentation
· census records: state and/or federal including source, census year, volume, and page number
· land records: copy of deed or plat map, if plat map include year
4. Descendent Documentation
· Birth record: copy of birth certificate or baptismal record showing date of birth
· Marriage record (if applicable): copy of marriage record
· Death record (if applicable): copy of death certificate or burial record
· Will or probate records: copy of the record
· Reference a previously issued Carver County Certificate by Certificate number
5. Multiple Certificates
more than one certificate based on the same ancestor is requested, proof of the
ancestor’s settlement in
· Remaining applications should be cross-referenced to it, if the individual is on the initial pedigree chart
· If the individual(s) on a subsequent certificate(s) is not on the initial pedigree chart, a separate pedigree chart must be submitted
· Application form, pedigree chart and proof of descent are still required for each person for whom a certificate is requested
6. Forms of Proof
§ Because these records are used, as a genealogical resource by other researchers:
· All proof of descent needs to be extracted from a primary source, such original documents that were created at the time of the event (i.e. Marriage, Census, etc.)
· County histories are not acceptable as proof
· Published or unpublished genealogies, family histories and family group sheets are not acceptable as proof
· Submit the documents or extracts that were used as proof for the aforementioned
· Documents that infer rather than establish the fact being claimed require corroboration
7. Send the completed application, pedigree chart, proof of descent and proper payment to:
Attn: Certificate Program
Note: All Information becomes the property of the Carver County Historical Society for use in our Research Library.